PRELIMINARY VIDEO AUDITION-all categories-
(Entry fee: $80 for Solo/Contemporary Composers/Concerto
$50/person for Duet and Ensembles)
- The adjudication committee will evaluate the contestant’s video submission. All videos are to be submitted via YouTube link/links. The video/s may be recorded within nine months prior to March 19th, 2019.
- All applicants will be informed of the jury’s decision regarding the preliminary round no later than April 17th, 2019. Semifinalists and finalists will be invited to participate in the live rounds of the competition at the Center of the Performing Arts in Carmel, Indiana.
- If a contestant chooses to withdraw from the competition, he/she is asked to notify the competition committee at least 48 hours prior to the beginning of the designated round.
- Any violation of the rules and regulations by the contestant may result in his/her expulsion from the competition, which is irrevocable.
- The Preliminary Audition is required for all levels and categories.
Preliminary Repertoire Requirements for Solo category:
- Two original contrasting piano compositions of different musical eras. Elementary level participants may perform compositions of the same time period if they are contrasting in nature/character.
- Collections of short works (Example: Chopin’s Preludes) are allowed.
- Memorization is not required for this round.
- Preliminary audition repertoire does not have to be the same as the live round
Preliminary Repertoire Requirements for Duet category:
One duet work for one piano/four hands. Original compositions, arrangements, and
transcriptions are accepted. Memorization is not required. Collections of short works of
the same composer are allowed if fit in the time limit.
Preliminary Repertoire Requirements for Ensemble category:
One complete piano ensemble work for one piano-six hands, one piano–eight hands,
two pianos-four hands, two pianos-six hands, or two pianos-eight hands. Original
compositions, arrangements, and transcriptions are all acceptable. Memorization is not required.
Preliminary Repertoire Requirements for Concerto category:
Any movement of a piano concerto. Memorization and accompaniment are not
required for this round. Parts of solo sections of the concerto may be recorded for the
Preliminary Repertoire Requirements for Contemporary Composers category:
One original piano composition written after 1930. Memorization is not required.
Collections of short works (Example: Kabalevsky’s Preludes) are allowed.